So I’ve just spent the last hour banging my head against my desk after trying to make some changes to a Puppet provider – for some reason when I’d made the changes, all of my nodes started failing to run, even ones that had nothing to do with the provider. All I was getting was an error when trying to retrieve the manifests – saying that it “
Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: Invalid parameter provider...“.
None of my Google-fu turned up anything useful, until I struck upon a single comment in the Puppet ticket database
Turns out that you may need to restart the Puppet master server after updating providers, or the entire system can fall apart before your very eyes.
I’m posting this here in the hope that
- I remember this next time, and avoid wasting hours debugging and trawling forum posts; and
- Someone might discover this post through a search engine one day, and be saved of my pain!
Yes, I found this and you saved me!!! The restarting of the puppetmaster worked.